We’re seeking a contract staff member for foaling season from August 2018.
A rare opportunity exists to join our team at Willinga Park, Australia’s newest and most advanced equestrian centre and breeding stud for Australian stock horses. The property is currently housing over 100 horses and producing around 40 foals per year. Having experienced staff on hand to attend every foaling is essential to ensure the safe delivery of our foals and the welfare of our mares.
Based in Bawley Point on the South Coast of NSW, this is a seasonal position. Hours will fluctuate week to week and include night and weekend shifts. This position commences August 2018, with a minimum contract period of 3 months and possible extension of up to 6 months.
We are looking for a self-motivated, energetic person who has a proactive approach to their work, the ability to work independently, and has a positive and enthusiastic attitude. The ideal applicant will have at least 2 years’ experience foaling down high value mares. They will possess excellent mare and foal husbandry skills, have a sound knowledge of veterinary procedures associated with foaling, and the capability to assess situations and react calmly and competently. Ideally, the successful candidate would have veterinary nursing skills and experience in administering medication, including giving needles (intravenous & intramuscular).
– Foal watch including overnight and weekend shifts
– Monitoring pregnant mares before and after birth, and newborn foals
– Documenting health assessments of mare and foal
– Dealing with veterinary emergencies
– Assistance with veterinary call outs
– Transport of mares and foals if required
– Other general care and maintenance of horses and yard duties (eg grooming, feeding, and handling horses; cleaning, care and maintenance of stables, yards and associated equipment; treating horse injuries and ailments)
Remuneration will be based on skills, experience and approach. Wages will be paid in accordance with the Horse and Greyhound Training award 2010.
Current drivers licence preferred and Heavy Rigid Vehicle Licence desirable.
If you have what we are looking for, please send an application letter with a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org